 It remained to defend the independence of the Greeks against the Indian relatives within the Indo-European family in order to establish the concept of classical-national Greek identity as a self-contained and self-sufficient model of civilization which, at least in Germany, was to dominate the later nineteenth century.  Ulrich von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff's scornful assessment in 1884-"the peoples and states of the Semites and the Egyptians which had been decaying for centuries and which, in spite of the antiquity of their culture, were unable to contribute anything to the Hellenes other than a few manual skills, costumes, and implements of bad taste, antiquated ornaments, repulsive fetishes for even more repulsive fake divinities" -is not representative of his work; but even later he maintained that the spirit of late antiquity stemmed "from the Orient and is the deadly enemy of true Hellenism."

2 Comments

Infinite QE Infinite QE

Re: The "Orientalizing Revolution"

Will be curious to see if any of your knowledge dredges into the question of the source of wisdom that flowed into Egypt then Greece in the ancient world, and if the issue of Atlantis is part of that quest. One starts pulling on a string and then years later finds oneself in a different world entirely.

Best of Luck!

John
Yunus E Yunus E

Re: The "Orientalizing Revolution"

If'n and when'n I get thru with the interminable phase of transferring things over here...

I'll eventually be getting to the matter you mention. But from another direction entirely, which is to say, both geographically and conceptually, from what we think of as "Atlantis." Indeed... it's only in thinking about my response to your comment, that I realized that the direction of my searches into the \European\ beginnings = ALTAI ... and the word ATLANTIS, may betray a concordance which neither I, nor philology have previous taken notice of!

And then, there is the question of the location of a putative "Atlantis" itself - which I'm more and more drawn to think of as internal to the MEDITERRANEAN, rather than outside of it. Thanks for the inspiration J.